Posted Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:13:25 GMT by Vincent BURNETTER Lapeyre Stair guy

I've been an Advance steel user for around 5 years now and I love the software, one exception.  In that 5 years I've tried using the guardrail macro too many times to count and come up empty every time.

It is absolutely and utterly worthless when you are trying to make an accurate guardrail. Ive even had trainers here from Graitec who agreed with me. There is simply no way to do the simple things that the majority of stair guardrails need and are required in my job. The diagrams in the macro are not even accurate! Just an example:

The simplest thing like aligning the end post with the top or bottom nosing is impossible to do from the macro! It even asks you if you want to use a nosing relative to start point, and then doesnt work. It aligns it parallel to the stringer! so you end up with your post being out of alignment with the nosing system line.  A simple option would be to add "do not use parallel to stringer."

I love everything else about this software.. Are there any plans to make any changes to this tool in the future? Please for my sanity :)

Posted Mon, 07 Jul 2014 21:08:54 GMT by Vincent BURNETTER Lapeyre Stair guy

Janet here are some of the issues I have with the Guardrail macro. I havent the time to list them all, but im confident if you send this to your designers and they try to build the simple guardrail in the DWG below the problems with present themselves with absolute clarity.  Thank you for your time

Attachment: Guardrail_0.zip

Posted Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:13:27 GMT by

Hi M Burnetter, 

I have create the railing you sent us and have acheived 100% of it thru the macro. I have created it beside the ones in the model you supplied us.

Have a look at it and I remain available for further assistance.

Kind regards.

Pascal Beauregard, #223

Attachment: Guardrail.rar

Posted Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:20:49 GMT by Vincent BURNETTER Lapeyre Stair guy

Im am on AS 2014 sp2 and cannot open the attachment. can you save backwards?

Posted Tue, 08 Jul 2014 21:49:38 GMT by Vincent BURNETTER Lapeyre Stair guy

Just an update for other users.  Every issue i had was addressed with tech support. It seems there are ways to build anything with this software.  Thanks again Pascal for your help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

GRAITEC Services
Training
Consultancy
Development
Free Trial
GRAITEC Products
Advance Design
Advance Workshop
Advance BIM Designers
PowerPack for Revit®
PowerPack for Advance Steel
Autodesk Products
Collections
Subscriptions
Cloud services
Advance Steel
Revit®
Autocad®

GRAITEC GROUP 2018 | WE'VE UPDATED OUR PRIVACY NOTICE - Click here to find out more about how we collect, store and handle your personal data and your rights.