Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:35:34 GMT by John CLEAVENGER
We are currently working with a company to have our tube steel cut on a laser. I need part files of the different parts in a solid model format such as parasolid, step or igs. Currently we output DXF files that give face views not a solid part. What can we do?
Posted Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:43:35 GMT by

Hello John,

I propose you the following procedure (this can be applied by using Advance Steel on the top of a recent release of AutoCAD (e.g. AutoCAD 2012)) :

- Create the desired tube in your 3D model

- Select the tube, make a right-click and choose "Explode to ACIS" => the tube is now a 3D solid

- Select the obtained 3D solid , then go in the "Plug-ins" ribbon, then press "Edit in fusion" icon => Autodesk Inventor Fusion opens with the selected 3D solid

- Go to File > Save as => in the "Type" combobox, you will find the different possibilities such as Parasolid files, IGES files ... (see attached picture)

Let me know if it helps you

Best regards

Philippe

Attachment: Save as possibilities from Autodesk Inventor Fusion.png

Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:45:08 GMT by Brian Hendriks Matrix Software B.V.
Hello,

I would like to comment on this. Some of our customers would like to generate step or iges for laser cutting of hollow sections. They do this by converting the hollow sections to acis and save as SAT file. Then use the fusion plugin to generate the desired file formats. The problem is that some programs do and other doesnt read the fusion step files. A movie of this method can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBqZ8P-t31I&feature=plcp

I found another way to do this by using a cadexhanger. This seem to work well and you can import any file format and save it again in any other file format. This program can be found here:http://www.cadexchanger.com/index.html

Regards,
Brian hendriks
Matrix Software

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

GRAITEC Services
Training
Consultancy
Development
Free Trial
GRAITEC Products
Advance Design
Advance Workshop
Advance BIM Designers
PowerPack for Revit®
PowerPack for Advance Steel
Autodesk Products
Collections
Subscriptions
Cloud services
Advance Steel
Revit®
Autocad®

GRAITEC GROUP 2018 | WE'VE UPDATED OUR PRIVACY NOTICE - Click here to find out more about how we collect, store and handle your personal data and your rights.