Automatic nesting in Advance Workshop uses many parameters to ensure a good bar nesting result.
However, incorrect use of these parameters can result in a bad optimization with errors.
In Bar nesting, access Processing > Optimization parameters… to display the parameters.
- Initial cut (A) is the dimension of the first cut, when the bar enters the sawing machine. It includes the blade thickness.
- Edge dist (C) is the distance used in order not to cut the clamp. It includes the blade thickness.
- Cut thick (B) is the blade thickness.
- Accuracy is a setting used for defining the number of attempts for the nesting engine.
- Number of parts for bar (0=infinity) is a specific parameter for old CNC machines, used for limiting the maximum number of parts present on a bar (e.g., if the CNC has marking limits).
- Loading cuts from the parts is used in order to consider or not the miter cuts in the optimization. Four choices are available:
•Web cuts: only miter cuts on the web are considered; miter cuts on flange will be disregarded
•Flange cuts: only miter cuts on flange are considered; miter cuts on web will be disregarded
•Both: all miter cuts are considered. If you have a mix of miter cuts, Advance Workshop creates two different groups, because it's not possible to make cuts in two different sizes.
- When possible, separate straight cuts from miter cuts: if this option is selected, Automatic Nesting creates two different optimization groups for parts with only straight cuts and parts with miter cuts.
- Sort stock bars: choose how to receive the bars in stock:
•Ascending: following all set parameters, Advance Workshop uses bars from the shortest to the longest (used before “Remnant”)
•Descending: following all set parameters, Advance Workshop uses bars from the longest to the shortest (used before “Commercial”).
- Allow rotation in X: allows rotating the parts in the X direction for a better optimization (during nesting optimization).
- Allow rotation in Y: allows rotating the parts in the Y direction for a better optimization (during nesting optimization).
- The bar always ends with a straight cut adds a straight cut at the end of the bar. This way, scrap only has a straight cut.
- Space between non-adjacent cuts is the size between two cuts that don't have the same cut angle. This value is dependent on the CNC machine characteristics.
- Size under which to discard: This value is very important for optimization and stock management.
If, in your nesting result, the Waste value is LOWER than this value, when you discharge this bar in production, in your stock the value is considered “WASTE”.
If the Waste value is HIGHER than this value, when you discharge this bar in production, in your stock the value is considered “REMNANT”.
“REMNANT” = bars that you can reuse in the next optimization.
- Minimum waste in the bar defines a minimum value for REMNANT. During an optimization, if Advance Workshop can't have waste (waste value lower than “Size under which to discard”), it tries to provide remnant over this value.
In this example, in the setting the Waste value is below 1200 mm (the first three bars in the nesting result), and the Remnant value is over 4000 mm (the last two bars in the nesting result).
For a better understanding:
Consider having one part of 1 meter, and two bars in stock: the first bar of 4200 mm, and the second bar of 12100 mm, and the following parameters:
As a result, the parts are on the longest bar (12100 mm). If you try to place the parts on the shortest bar, the waste size obtained is in “NOT WORK AREA”.
If you want to use shortest bar, you must change the setting for Minimum waste in the bar to 1200 mm (same value for “Size under which to discard”).
- Stock simulation allows you to execute a simulation without stock or without a specific section in your stock. Three options are available:
•Disable simulation is used for deactivating the simulation.
•Enable simulation is used for activating the simulation.
•Only active if no bars in the group: if selected, the simulation will only be active for profiles without bars in stock.
- Simulation bar dimensions allows you to enter the simulation bar size.