Posted Wed, 04 Jun 2014 12:33:45 GMT by Nenad

Hi,

I would like to place labels outside all the presented parts. However - some labels are placed inside the other parts on the same view... See the picture attached.

I thought that selected option in DSM would solve that issue, but it appears it's not...

Is there some other setting I can apply to have the desired presentation?

Cheers,

Nenad

Attachment: Label overlap.zip

Posted Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:19:21 GMT by Marian Bandzak

Hi Nenad,

There are 2 different methods for label arrangement strategy. For selected drawing style you can find them in the bottom part of the dialog for "Labeling strategy". First one is "based on area" (old method) and the second is "based on angle" (new method). The difference is in the way, how is the position of label found. In the attached picture I can see that the method you use is "based on area". You can try the one "based on angle", which is newer and also has option "not to overlap total geometry". If the problem persists also with new method, let me know and I will ask Autodesk, if there is any solution.

Regards,

Marian

Posted Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:22:54 GMT by Nenad

Hi Marian,

the strange thing is that in my English international AS 2014 the area method is marked as new, and the angle is marked as old method. (see the scrshot attached).

Never the less, I'll try the old one as well, and see what happens.

Thanks for answer,

cheers,

Nenad

Attachment: Label Arr Meth.zip

Posted Wed, 04 Jun 2014 16:58:48 GMT by Nenad

Hi again, I now remember why I swithced from angle method to area.

I attached a few picures with resoult arrangement. 2 are bearable, although the area method is clearly better - for tested examples, at least...

More over - the "do not overlap total geometry" is working in Area method also, it is just doing the different job: The labels are laced in such way not to overlap the drawing lines, but if the algoritm finds the "free place " - never mind it is the flat surfice of the beam or plate - it places the label there... See the attached pictures...

Attachment: Label Arr Meth Compar.zip

Posted Thu, 05 Jun 2014 15:19:54 GMT by Marian Bandzak

Seems that each method has strong and weak sides.

I think that if you play a little with "based on angle" method, you cen obtain better result. This method is checking for each step, if there is a space to place the label in the defined angle and the distance range. If you have big max. distance, the strategy goes under one angle until the max. distance. If there is not enough space for the label, it goes to the next step - next angle. Try to decrease max (eventually also min) distance and reduce number of steps to have bigger difference in angles.

For some details you can check also guide for drawing styles - http://www.graitec.info/Common/Downloads/Documentation/AS-DSM-guide-2012-EN.pdf

Cheers :)

Posted Thu, 05 Jun 2014 15:24:24 GMT by Marian Bandzak

In the method old/new - I made a mistake, trust the software :) 

Marian

Posted Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:01:53 GMT by Nenad

Hi Marian,

I was working on a model there few weeks and now I have to make the drawings, so I'll test your suggestions. :)

I have tried a few experiments with the new method (newer should be better - no? ;) ) and I encountered a few more inconsistencies:

see the attached files - the Left/right top/bottom order seams to have ne influance on the label position. I need to place them to the side of the model, not bottom/top.

I'll try the angle method again... It's a pitty I don't have enough time to experiment, as the work is waiting...

I'll inform you on results,

cheers,

Nenad

Attachment: Lab pos.zip

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

GRAITEC Services
Training
Consultancy
Development
Free Trial
GRAITEC Products
Advance Design
Advance Workshop
Advance BIM Designers
PowerPack for Revit®
PowerPack for Advance Steel
Autodesk Products
Collections
Subscriptions
Cloud services
Advance Steel
Revit®
Autocad®

GRAITEC GROUP 2018 | WE'VE UPDATED OUR PRIVACY NOTICE - Click here to find out more about how we collect, store and handle your personal data and your rights.