Posted Thu, 15 May 2014 18:50:27 GMT by Nenad

Hi,

I am wondering is there a way to "link" plot area to HYPERSTEELPAGEFRAME size? I couldn't find one.

It is nice to be able to change the frame size so quickly, but it would be even more nice if Advance was so advance to change the plot area at the same time.

I can't think anyone that would want to change the frame size and not the plot area - it is so natural to do so... Now that AS is part of AutoDesk, maybe it will be easier to achive this.

Posted Fri, 16 May 2014 08:43:44 GMT by Marian Bandzak

Hello Nenad,

I am quite niot sure if I understood your question well. The HYPERSTEELPAGEFRAME block defines the area, inside which are views placed during drawing generation by processes. If the are inside this block is full, another drawing is automatically created. The plot are for printing can be linked to the layout size.

Maybe also this FAQ can be helpful:  http://www.graitec.com/en/FAQ_view.asp?FAQID=952&Language=EN&Name=How+is+a+user+defined+area+locked+for+detail+arrangement+configured%3F

Regads,

Marian

Posted Tue, 20 May 2014 19:10:19 GMT by Nenad

The idea with next page when the first one is populated is teoreticaly ok, but the in practice one often needs more flexible approach.

The drawing process has pre-defined "detail drawings", which have predefined prototype.

Prototype can have a fixed frame and size, or scalable.
We use the scalable paper size, with predefined sizez for A4, A3, A2, A1, A0, 2A0 and few non standard sizes like 420 x 420 mm...

Why?

We have lot of different size models, from few tons to few hundred tons.

The model is divided in groups like traverse, beams, frames, etc. For every group we use 1 drawing process (most of the time) to extract the drawings, and then add some views or details, add or delete the dimension lines and labels if needed. And I can't rememeber the case it wasn't needed.

So - I can predefine 10+ different prototypes with all mentioned paper sizes and I can make 10+ different processes with same drawing style and different prototypes, but I can't predict exactly what size the page will be needed.

Most time I change it just one size + or - (e.g. from A3 to A2 or similar), but never the less I have to go trough same number of steps to do it as if I have changed it from A4 to 2A0...

I rearange the parts to specifc area;
Then I shrink/enlarge the frame;
Then I enter the plot command, and select the "window" and define the new print area to fit the frame;
Then I change the paper size (stil in PLOT window) to fit all previous mentioned;
Then I explode the drawing so the colleagues that don't use Advance Steel could open the drawing;
(Often I have to make small adjustments to the tables and sometimes even to some parts of the drawings) in exploded dwgs;
And then (not rarely) I get the new revision, so I am back at the beggining...

Do you have the better tehnique for mentioned metodology?

I have to say that we work as contractors and we have been given the predefined methodology so we have to stick to it, we can't for example choose A2 format and print 30+ pages on A3, because we can do it with fewer clicks...

Thanks for the answer,
cheers

p.s. - I am writing this text in notepad, and then copy-paste to this ridicilusly small input area for the answer. Is it possible that I am the only one bothered becose of the 3 line wide input area?

Posted Thu, 22 May 2014 09:06:22 GMT by Marian Bandzak

Hello Nenad,

Coming back to your initial question, it is not possible to link plot area (defind in the plot dialog) to the page frame.

If you have a lots of parts/assemblies that need to be drawn on various paper sizes, there is a way to define the drawing style that checks for the best scale on the best paper size.

In the drawing process manager, for selected process in the main definiton tab, you can define for the process the initial paper size with the prototype. There is also the additional steps tab, where you can define next rules, which are used if the view does not fit to the drawing. Of course, you can define scales that will be used by the process (there can be also only one scale).

I attach such example of drawing process so you can check how it is defined. I use CZ version.

Regards,

Marian

Posted Thu, 22 May 2014 09:07:00 GMT by Marian Bandzak

file attached

Attachment: DetailProcessesExport_0.mdb

You must be signed in to post in this forum.

GRAITEC Services
Training
Consultancy
Development
Free Trial
GRAITEC Products
Advance Design
Advance Workshop
Advance BIM Designers
PowerPack for Revit®
PowerPack for Advance Steel
Autodesk Products
Collections
Subscriptions
Cloud services
Advance Steel
Revit®
Autocad®

GRAITEC GROUP 2018 | WE'VE UPDATED OUR PRIVACY NOTICE - Click here to find out more about how we collect, store and handle your personal data and your rights.